ESTA: applying for travel authorization
(The United States)
If you want to enter The United States by air or sea and you are a citizen of a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program, it is mandatory to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). This application can be done easily online.
Contents of this page:
- What is an ESTA travel authorization for the U.S.?
- Applying for an ESTA travel authorization
- What happens after you apply?
What is an ESTA travel authorization for the U.S.?
ESTA is an online Electronic System for Travel Authorization to The United States. The American government has been using this system to register travelers to The United States without a visa requirement since 2009.
Check if you are required to get ESTA- travel authorization.
- The travel authorization ESTA is only meant for temporarily business trips or touristic visits for up to a maximum of 90 days.
- You will only have to pay for a new ESTA application when you acquire a new passport, or when the old ESTA has expired.
- We would advise you to apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours before you depart, since the American government may take 72 hours to check the application in exceptional cases.
Applying for an ESTA travel authorization.
If you require an ESTA travel authorization, you can let our partner Evisa Application Service take care of it for you. For a small compensation Evisa Application Services offers you the following:
- Personal help with the application process.
- Payment with: Visa card, Mastercard
- We will send you a warning one month before your ESTA expiring date.
- We will go over your application before it is send.
Apply for an ESTA through Evisa Application Services.
Or apply directly through the American customs (US Customs and Border Protection).
Apply for an ESTA travel authorization through the US Customs and Border Protection.
What happens after you apply?
When we receive your travel authorization we will send it to your e-mail address directly. Usually you will receive the travel authorization within a few hours. In some cases, the American government may take more time to decide. This can take up to 72 hours.
We advise you to check your data on your ESTA application carefully. It is especially important that the passport number is correct. Evisa Application Services advises you to print the application and take it with you during your travels.
The ESTA is valid for 2 years after the date of approval. The expiry date is also visible on the confirmation of your ESTA travel authorization. If your passport expires before your ESTA then that is the date on which your ESTA travel authorization expires. Your passport also needs to be valid for your entire stay in The United States (departure date + 1 day).
Your visit can not be longer than 90 days, however you are allowed to enter The United States multiple times during those 2 years (if the ESTA is still valid).
If you plan to fly to Canada through The United States, you will also need an ETA for Canada since November 2016. Apply for an ETA Canada travel authorization through Evisa Application Services.