- If you want to enter The United States by air or sea and you are a citizen of a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program it is mandatory to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The United Kingdom is part of the Visa Waiver Program.
- The travel authorization ESTA is only meant for temporarily business trips or touristic visits for up to a maximum of 90 days. An ESTA travel authorization is also need when you land on US soil for a transit flight (even though you might not have to leave the airport). The travel authorization is valid up to 2 years or until your passport expires. During this time ESTA allows you to enter The United States as often as you would like. However, you are still only allowed to stay for 90 days per visit.

- In case you wish to stay in The United States for longer than 90 days, you are required to apply for a non-immigration visa, a B1 visa (business), or a B2 visa (touristic). You can apply for one at the American embassy in your home country.

- In case you want to acquire a permanent residence permit you are required to apply for a green card. This application usually takes a lot of time.
There are three possibilities to be eligible for a green card:

  1. Apply after a legal stay of at least five years.
  2. Participation of the Diversity Lottery or Green Card Lottery.
  3. It is also possible to get a permanent residence permit through; family ties, big investments or as a refugee.

If you want more information on applying for a visa, please visit

Apply for an ESTA straight away.
In the links below, you can find the website for the U.S Customs and Border Protection and Evisa Application Services.

Apply for ESTA with eVisa Apply for ESTA